An educated workforce is the key to progress. Since the American Revolution, the United States has set the global standard for providing free public education to its people. The belief that education is a right, and not a privilege, has provided each resident the opportunity to reach his or her full potential. Our educational system is the foundation for technological innovations and economic growth that have made our nation the envy of the world.
The 7th district has some of the best schools in the nation. But, it would be a disservice to our children if we rested on our accomplishments. We must continually strive to ensure every student has the skills necessary to meet challenges of the 21st century, while working to expand educational opportunities that meet and exceed our goals together.
- Child psychologists agree – the first 3 years of life are the most formative.
- We have to make sure every family in America has the opportunity to send their children to high quality childcare and pre-kindergarten programs.
- The 7th district has some excellent early education offerings, but too many are financially out of reach for most families.
- We support the creation of a universal childcare and pre-kindergarten program.
- The 7th district has some of the best schools in the country – but there is always room for improvement.
- Too many of our under-performing schools are run by businessmen with no experience in the classroom.
- While the federal government should set national goals and priorities, the states and local communities should decide upon the best practices to achieve them.
- We must ensure America’s teachers have a strong voice in our education system.
Fully Funded Higher Education
- A college education is imperative in the 21st century, and many children born today will work on to graduate level education.
- Everyone in this country who studies hard should be able to go to college, regardless of income.
- Student loans are financially devastating for students and families and place too large a burden on economic growth.
- America succeeds when we have the most educated workforce on the planet.